Avocado toast has been one of my favorite breakfast items since I first had it in 1987 when I moved to Florida for my externship from the CIA. I wanted to share my “simple” version since it plays such a large role in my morning routine. There are many versions of avocado toast out there and most feature smashed avocados. I prefer the texture of the sliced avocado over the creamy “guacamole” texture of the smashed. The key to avocado toast is a perfectly ripe avocado and great bread.
For the great bread, I like to use my sourdough bread, of course. I will include a link to the recipe. A good whole grain bread chock-full of seeds and nuts is also a good choice for a base. Bagels crisp up nicely and I prefer to use a cheesy Parmesan bagel or a crunchy “Everything” bagel. English Muffins are another option that works well.
In the photo above you can see that I just roughly cut the avocados and randomly placed them on the toast. For a more uniform look set the avocado half flat down side on the cutting board and make long thin slices the length of the avocado, keeping the slices in place. Gently press down on the sliced avocado and fan out the slices. Lay the fanned avocado on the sourdough bread slice or divide it between the 2 toasted bagel or English muffin halves.
I have mixed feelings when it comes to additional toppings. A grind of freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle of a flaky sea salt (I prefer Maldon Sea Salt) is all that is really necessary, and other ingredients can take the focus away from the avocado, as it is quite mild in flavor. Nevertheless, I experiment with different toppings and have found some that work quite well. In the photo above, I have pan-charred some Shishito peppers from my garden, removed the stems and placed them on top of the sliced avocado. Other topping options I have tried are: a sprinkle of “Everything Bagel Seasoning,” roasted cherry tomatoes, sliced radishes, a fried or sliced boiled egg, or a few sliced of cold-smoked salmon.
Avocado ToastCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the bread (or bagel/English muffin) to the pan and toss it in the oil coating it evenly on both sides. Toast until well browned on each side.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the peel and pit. Set the avocado flat down side on the cutting board and make long thin slices the length of the avocado, keeping the slices in place. Gently press down on the sliced avocado and fan out the slices. Lay the fanned avocado on the sourdough bread slice or divide it between the 2 toasted bagel or English muffin halves.
- Top with freshly grated black pepper and some flaky sea salt.
- Add optional toppings if desired.