Dark Chocolate Mousse
With only 5 ingredients, Chocolate Mousse is a quick and easy dessert to make and will satisfy most sweet-tooth’s. Use a good quality semi-sweet dark chocolate with about 60% cocoa solids for best results.
I like to serve my chocolate mousse in a clear glass cup or bowl (although any cup or bowl will do, even coffee cups) to show off its beautiful color. Toppings can be any combination of chopped-toasted nuts, berries, cookies, whipped cream or shaved chocolate.
These 21-inch pastry bags make easy work of piping this chocolate mousse into any serving container. They come in a roll of 100 bags which will last a long time, plus, I reuse mine often if they are used for whipped cream or even this chocolate mousse. If you use them for piping a raw meat filling into a tortellini or ravioli, simply toss them out when you are done using them.
The Ateco 1/2-inch open star shaped pastry tip is perfect for piping everything from whipped cream and chocolate mousse to puréed potatoes and even churros.
Dark Chocolate MousseCourse: DessertCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Easy
3 large eggs, separated
7 ounces dark chocolate, semi-sweet
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
Optional toppings: chopped nuts, berries, whipped cream, shaved chocolate, cookies
- Whisk the yolks in a small bowl.
- Place the dark chocolate and butter into a microwaveable glass bowl and heat 30 seconds at a time, stirring thoroughly after each heating. Continue until chocolate just melts.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks in a chilled mixing bowl and reserve.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peak, then add the granulated sugar and whip to stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg yolks into the whipped cream. Next, fold in the melted chocolate.
- Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then the second 1/3, fold gently and then the final 1/3 and fold in just until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate the mousse for at least 1 hour to allow it to firm up. I often pipe my mousse into a cup or bowl with a star-tip and pastry bag.