My recipe for Eggplant Parmesan is a little different from many recipes out there. I lightly coat the sliced eggplant with flour and egg before I fry them and avoid the heavy layer that breadcrumbs add. I find that my recipe yields a dish that is less heavy and that the texture is much better without the addition of breadcrumbs.
Fry the Eggplant:
Fry the eggplant for about 3 minutes on each side or until they are lightly golden brown in color. Drain the fried slices on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Dice the Fresh Mozzarella:
Cut the fresh mozzarella balls into 1/2-inch dice.
Layer in the Cheese:
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh Mozzarella. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, finishing with a layer of tomato sauce and a thick layer of Parmesan cheese.
Cover with Foil and Bake:
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 400-degrees F. oven for about 1 hour. Allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Eggplant ParmesanCourse: EntreeCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
2 large eggplants (1 pound each)
4 large eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
Olive oil for frying
6 large cloves garlic, minced
28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1-ounce (1 cup) torn fresh basil leaves
16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
10-ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2”-thick slices, lay out on a baking sheet (you will probably need 2) and sprinkle with kosher salt. Stack the layers and top with another baking sheet and a few pounds in weights to press out some of the bitter juices for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Place about 1/2 cup of olive oil in the pan.
- Crack the eggs into medium-sized bowl and whisk well.
- Drip off any excess moisture on the eggplant slices and dredge in the flour. Dip the floured slices into the beaten egg, coating it well and fry in the olive oil for about 2 minutes per side, browning them lightly.
- Drain the eggplant on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil and the minced garlic. Stir for 20 seconds and add the tomatoes. Cook the tomato mixture over medium heat for 15 minutes and stir in the sugar, torn basil and a large pinch of salt.
- Oil a deep 9x13 baking dish and add a layer of tomato sauce, fried eggplant, diced mozzarella, and grated Parmesan. Repeat with the remaining ingredients in 2 more layers, finishing with a layer of tomato sauce and a thick layer of Parmesan cheese on top. Gently press the mixture to compact it into the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 400-degree F. oven for 45 minutes. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. It is even better the next day, just microwave to reheat.