Crème Anglaise is a versatile “custard” sauce that can be used over French Toast at breakfast, poured into soufflés at dinner, or churned into a frozen custard in an ice cream maker. Most often it is transformed, with various flavors and colorings, into a show stopping sauce that is used as a final decoration on a dessert plate.
Crème AnglaiseCourse: DessertCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
2 cups whole milk
3 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Select the desired flavor from the list below, making the required changes as noted.
- Heat the milk in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar. Have ready a large bowl half full of ice water (with plenty of ice) and a medium-sized bowl that will fit inside the ice bath. Also have a fine mesh strainer, a wooden spoon and an instant read thermometer.
- When the milk reaches a simmer, slowly pour about 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. This is called tempering. Add another 1/2 cup of hot milk, whisking constantly. Now whisk the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan with the milk, whisking constantly. Set the whisk aside and stir this mixture with the wooden spoon constantly over medium heat until the mixture reaches a temperature of 175 degrees on the instant read thermometer or until the mixture just coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat and immediately pour the mixture through the fine mesh strainer into the medium bowl. Immediately set this bowl in the ice bath to stop the cooking. Stir the mixture, occasionally, until it cools.
- Refrigerate in a covered container until needed, for up to 1 week.
- Flavor Options:
- Vanilla: Steep the milk with 1/2 of a fresh vanilla bean, scraping out the seeds (or add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the finished sauce)
Grand Marnier: Add 3 Tablespoons Grand Marnier liqueur
Ginger: Steep the milk with 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
Raspberry: Add 1/2 cup fresh raspberries and 1 Tablespoon Chambord after it cools Chocolate: Stir in 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
Almond: Add 2 teaspoons crushed toasted almonds with 1 Tablespoon Amaretto Hazelnut: Add 2 teaspoons crushed hazelnuts with 1 Tablespoon Frangelico