Grilled Halibut with a Parmesan Crust
Halibut is one of my favorite fish and can be found on both coasts of the United States. It has a flaky and meaty texture that can stand up to the strong flavors in this recipe. Be careful not to overcook it though, as too much heat can render it dry and unappetizing. The pesto in this recipe is a little different from a standard pesto, replacing the basil and pine nuts with arugula and hazelnuts.
Grilled Halibut with a Parmesan CrustCourse: EntreeDifficulty: Easy
4 five-ounce portions of fresh halibut fillet
Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and ground white pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small shallot minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 Tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
Arugula Pesto (recipe below)
1 Tablespoon crushed filberts (hazelnuts)
Lemon segments (optional garnish)
- Arugula Pesto
3 cups of cleaned arugula leaves
4 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup hazelnuts (filberts)
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the halibut on a plate, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and white pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large grill pan over high heat. When hot, gently lay the fish in the pan, cooking on the first side for about 2 minutes or until a grill marks forms. Flip over and continue on the other side for another 2 minutes. Remove the fish to a cookie sheet and spread an even layer of grated Parmesan on each fillet. Finish cooking the halibut in the oven for about 5 minutes, melting the cheese.
- Place a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and the minced shallot and stir for 30 seconds. Deglaze with the white wine and reduce until it is almost dry. Add the butter and lemon juice and stir until melted. Season with a pinch of white pepper and salt to taste and finish with the chopped parsley.
- Heat a broiler, and place the halibut close to the heat to melt and lightly brown the cheese.
- To serve, arrange the halibut on a serving plate or platter, drizzle with the sauce and place a spoonful of pesto beside the fish. Top the halibut with the optional lemon segments, sprinkle with the crushed hazelnuts and serve with starch and vegetables of your choice.
- Arugula Pesto
- Place all the Pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pingback: Flounder Oscar - Chef Michael Salmon