Grilled corn kernels from fresh corn on the cob takes this cornbread recipe to the next level. The butter also helps! Another key to it’s success is the cast iron skillet which delivers a nice crusty exterior. I use either a single 10-inch (measure the bottom of the pan) or three 6-inch cast iron skillets. The honey-thyme compound butter is amazing on any bread!
Drizzle the corn cobs with olive oil and brown it lightly on either a cast iron grill pan or on the grill.
To remove the corn kernels from the cob, I cut the cob in half width-wise which creates a flat surface to stand the cob upright. This makes it much safer and easier to cut off the kernels. Cut down the half-cobs being careful not to remove any of the cob. Once the kernels are removed you can use the back of your knife to “milk” any remaining goodness by simply scraping the surface of the cob.
Place the wet ingredients in the blender with most of the corn kernels and blend for 1 minute. This gives the cornbread an amazing “fresh corn” taste, verses just using plain cornmeal.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 10-inch cast iron skillet and bake in a 375-degree F. oven for 35-40 minutes.
Michael’s CornbreadCourse: BreadCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
3 large ears corn on the cob
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
6 Tablespoons heavy cream
3 Tablespoons milk
2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
3/4 cup melted, unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup + 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Butter and a.p. flour to coat pan
- Honey-Thyme Butter
1 cup unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, lightly chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 pinch white pepper
- Preheat grill or grill pan on high heat. Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Peel away and remove the corn husks and silk. Drizzle the cobs with the olive oil and grill the corn, turning every minute until evenly covered with grill marks.
- Place the cobs on a cutting board and remove the kernels with a knife, being careful not to cut into the tough cob.
- Combine the heavy cream, milk, and maple syrup in a blender and blend for 10 seconds. Add the corn kernels (reserving 1/4 cup of the kernels for garnish) and blend for 1 minute. Scrape down with a rubber spatula and add the melted butter and eggs. Blend again until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir until well combined.
- Add the corn mixture to the flour bowl and stir until well combined.
- Brush the 10-inch cast iron skillet with soft butter and coat lightly with cake flour, tapping out excess flour.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared skillet and sprinkle with the reserved grilled corn kernels.
- Bake the cornbread in the preheated 375-degree F. oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Cool slightly but serve warm with the Honey Thyme Butter.
- Honey-Thyme Butter
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixer and whip for 2 minutes to lighten and combine.