Roasted Pepper and Eggplant Salad
This is a light and refreshing salad that we serve on our Foodie trips to Tuscany. Freshly roasted and charred peppers (watch my video on roasting peppers) have so much more flavor than the jarred or canned ones that it is worth every minute spent over the open flame. If you don’t have a gas range at home, peppers can be charred under a broiler or outside on a barbecue grill.
Grilled eggplant and peppery Arugula are added and then tossed with a simple red wine dressing.
If you own a gas range at home, this is a “must have” item. The gas stovetop ring reducer is very inexpensive and makes charring vegetables much more enjoyable and allows you to balance small pots over an open flame without the worry of them spilling.
Roasted Pepper and Eggplant SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
6 red bell peppers
2 large eggplants
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
6 oz baby arugula
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon each chopped herb: Italian parsley, basil and oregano
hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- Burn the skin of the bell pepper over an open flame and place in a plastic bag to steam for 3 minutes. Peel away the charred skin. Cut in half and remove the seeds and stem. Cut into fine strips.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over high heat.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch slices. Drizzle the slices with a little of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill in the hot pan or on the grill until nicely marked from the grill. Turn over and grill the other side.
- Remove the eggplant to a pan to cool slightly. Cut the eggplant into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl with the roasted pepper strips and arugula.
- To make the dressing, combine the minced garlic, vinegar and sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together and drizzle in the remaining olive oil in a slow and steady stream. Stir in the chopped herbs and red pepper flakes if desired. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing on the eggplant mixture and toss gently. Make a final adjustment to the seasoning and serve immediately.