Arborio Rice Fritters
These dessert rice fritters are made from Arborio rice with a hint of lemon and yeast. I feature these on my menu to Tuscany where they are known as “Frittelle di Riso.” The texture from the al dente rice in the fritter makes for a unique sensation, unlike standard batter fritters.
To finish, allow the fritters to drain on paper towels for 20 seconds, and roll them in a lemon flavored sugar.
This set of 3 cookie or ice cream scoops is a great addition to any kitchen. For this fritter recipe, I use the middle-sized scoop (#40 or 2 Tablespoons) to make uniform-sized round balls. Alternatively, you can drop batter from a heaped Tablespoon, but they will be more free-form in shape. I use the smaller size scoop for a “mosaic” of sorbets and the larger scoop for cookie dough.
Serve the fritters while they are still warm with vanilla gelato or ice cream. I like to finish the plate with a sprig of fresh spearmint.
Arborio Rice FrittersCourse: DessertCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
2 cups whole milk
grated zest from 2 lemons (keep zest from 1 lemon separate)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 pinches Kosher salt
1 1/2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon Vin Santo (or other sweet wine)
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
canola oil for frying
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Vanilla gelato or ice cream
Fresh mint leaves, optional garnish
- Combine the rice, milk, lemon zest from 1 lemon, ground cinnamon and salt in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, until the rice is al dente. Add butter and stir until melted and combined.
- Spread the zest from the other lemon out on a plate and place in a warm area to air-dry.
- Remove the rice from the heat and cool completely. To hurry the cooling process, spread the rice out on a baking sheet in a thin layer.
- In a large bowl combine the honey, Vin Santo, egg yolks, flour and dry yeast. Add the cooled rice and mix to combine.
- Place the egg whites in a mixer and whisk to stiff peaks. Gently fold the whites into the rice mixture until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat oil in a deep-fat fryer or deep sauce pan to 350-degrees F.
- Finely mince the remaining zest of 1 lemon (from the plate) and mix with the 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- Drop portions (from a #40 cookie/ice cream scoop) of batter into the hot oil, turning occasionally, until browned evenly to a nice golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels for 20 seconds.
- Toss the fritters in the lemon-sugar and serve immediately with the vanilla gelato or ice cream. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.